Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default OT: more PC insanity

On 13/04/2021 16:14, newshound wrote:

(I remember my Norfolk grandfather refused to accept the French
invaders pronunciation. The car lived in the 'garridge', not a poncey
'garage')...

That's an interesting one. My recollection from my upbringing in South
London was of 50-50 useage, perhaps a slight working class / middle
class split? I don't think I am consistent in Gloucestershire now but it
seems to me that both are equally acceptable. Here is another viewpoint
off the web; I think the phonetics essentially represents your two
versions.

"When I grew up in North London, We said /ˈɡærɑːʒ/, and looked down on
the lower-class people around us who said /ˈɡærɪdʒ/. But when I moved to
Yorkshire, and gradually started talking Yorkshire (sometimes - depends
who I'm talking to), I found that /ˈɡærɑːʒ/ seemed alien to it, and
adopted /ˈɡærɪdʒ/. Now when I'm in the South and not talking Yorkshire,
I don't know which to use: I think I say /ˈɡærɪdʒ/ more often."

This link gives three English (and two American) sound clips

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...age_1?q=garage