Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default OT The pubs are open

On 13/04/2021 15:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxx wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

And judging by the reports in the media, probably a huge surge in
infections as well, despite the pubs and shops best efforts.

Its like the January sales.

Maybe lots of infections but few hospitalisations.

That assumes most are vaccinated but that isnt true yet.

But the ones who are vulnerable and most likely to die have.

My main concern would be the increased likelihood of mutations from
the increased number of infections.

The mutations come from those with severely compromised
immune systems that take a long time to recover from the
virus or die from it now that treatment is so much better.

That is a thought but I doubt you'll find a cite saying it is directly
caused by a severely compromised immune systems.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mmune-systems/

Gives an account the patient showed that the virus evolved rapidly after
being given convalescent plasma.

This article:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...g-the-pandemic

Highlights it is the number and duration of infection that increase
likelihood of mutation;
"With almost every person it infects, the virus changes very subtly €“
picking up a letter in its genetic code here, another being deleted
there or swapped for something different."