Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default De-ice the car properly!

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I have noted that my more energy efficient diesel car takes much longer
to warm up than the previous petrol ones I had.

Yes. Some diesels have much larger alternators and an electric heater to
warm them faster - some Focus diesels had that ... a 1kW electric
heater! Unfortunately, mine didn't, and it would often take 4 or 5 miles
to really get warmed up. My current car is petrol and is much better in
that respect.

Surely a direct diesel burning heater makes more sense? You could set that
going before you get to the car in the morning?

Have you seen how little space there is under the bonnet of a Focus
diesel? I looked at adding a diesel fired pre-heater and decided it was
pretty well impossible. I also looked at electric heaters, as my car is
normally parked on the drive at night, but even that would have been
difficult, as there was no space for the heater and pump where the pipes
were actually accessible.

I am sure that I could have done it if I'd really wanted to, but I could
put up with slow heating. Aircon kept the screen demisted well enough
and I rarely feel the cold - often de-icing the car with a scraper while
wearing a short-sleeved shirt and no jacket or coat.