Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup[_7_] soup[_7_] is offline

Default De-ice the car properly!

On 12/04/2021 12:54, R D S wrote:
I had a new job on top of my to-do list yesterday morning.

Ice and frozen snow on the screen, snapped my scraper jabbing away at
it, so I poured some tepid water on it and hit the wipers upon which the
blades promptly tore from the arms.

Nightmare.

No problem with any of that .

Remove surface snow, quick spray of Iso propyl alcohol(so much cheaper
than demister) .

Quick clean of the windscreen with the windsbreen washers (hopefully
not frozen [but in the winter I use stuff that's good to minus 20 so no
problems there]) if it's below that will seriously consider just going
back into the house and having a 'duvet day'.

No snapped/torn wipers no stuck/snapped scrapers.

Never had a problem with rubber around windscreen and never had
streaking (maybe a tiny bit VERY occasionally but that is cleared by a
quick once with the wipers and the windscreen washer).

I would NEVER NEVER never pour even tepid water onto a screen, I know it
is strong enough to cope with 200+ mile an hour winds, but thermal shock
can do some 'interesting' things.

As I drive a Motability car and they would pay if my windscreen cracked
I have no deep seated qualms about breaking it but I still wouldn't want
to be of the road until the screen was fixed.