tomcas

Default Water Softeners, good or bad??

Bram Sorgman wrote:

rdkapp wrote:

Water softeners are great! We love ours. We have our entire house on
softened water. They do, however, increase salt intake. It is fairly
minimal, but it may not be good for those on a low sodium diet. Check
with
your doctor.

I have heard recently that potassium chloride salt is made for use in
water
softeners, specifically for people on restricted sodium diets. I've
never
seen potassium chloride being sold in Home Depots or Lowes, but you
apparently can get it from salt suppliers. You just have to call
around. I
think it's a little more expensive than sodium chloride and I don't
know if
there are any special requirements or modifications to be made on the
softener equipment to use potassium chloride.

Good luck!

"Martin Hirsch" wrote in message

Hi

I have been researching water softeners and was able to find many
benefits
but no real negatives other than initial cost, installation,or

maintenance.

Any information good/bad would be helpful. Thanks.

Sears sells potassium salt for softeners (about $7.50/40 lb. bag)

Sears Hardware in CT sells 40lb potassium chloride for $6.29 a bag.
Homedepot also has it but at close to $9 a bag.
A couple of side notes to new water softeners users- reduce the amount
of soap when washing clothes and dishes. Especially automatic
dishwashers. And don't use the temp boost or else you will permanently
etch your glasses with spots. If you are installing a new softener, or
you have not used yours in a few months be prepared for a crap load of
debris to exit the faucets for the first few days. Resist temptation to
wipe the crystals from a ceramic glazed sink or tub as you will only end
up scratching the heck out of the finish as these crystals are very hard.
Get a softener that has a demand feature. It determines the regeneration
rate based on actual usage as opposed to presetting the time between
regenerations based on average conditions.