Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default What glue brand and type do you all use for woodworking ?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 18:39:05 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 11:33:54 AM UTC-7, Itty wrote:
What glue brand and type do you all use for woodworking ?

I tried some but do not like. e.g. Gorilla foaming is a mess.

If there's no pressing reason to expect dribble, just white Elmers
works fine. Yellow woodwork glue for neatness. Both are PVA type.
Veneers work best with non-water-based, either acetone-type contact
cement or Gorilla (polyurethane).

If you must glue endgrain, polyurethane is well-behaved compared to
the (stronger) PVA water-thinned glues.

To re-glaze aluminum windows, I always use liquid nails to install softwood
so the glass presses against wood, not metal.

And, to redo antiques really requires hide glue.

I've run into a problem with PVA-based glues in general, specifically
in doors. The problem is that these glues will creep under sustained
load, especially if hot, like a sun-baked exterior door.

For exterior doors, I ended up adding diagonal turnbuckle braces, to
keep the door from sagging farther and farther down, until the
swinging edge rested on the floor.

But, hide glue would also work - there are many doors in my house that
are from the 1930s, that have not sagged.

I've also had the problem with multi-lite French doors coming apart,
especially at the top, in the corner away from the hinges.

..https://www.doortodoorco.com/products/15-lite-french-door

For this, I had the carpenter use hide glue.

What would also work are the catalyzed glues used to make wooden
boats, like resorcinol.

..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resorcinol_glue

Joe Gwinn