Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Scrap car battery.

On 10/04/2021 15:54, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/04/2021 15:16, Robin wrote:
On 10/04/2021 14:14, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/04/2021 12:23, Robin wrote:
On 09/04/2021 22:47, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/04/2021 21:23, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/04/2021 12:58, Fredxx wrote:
On 07/04/2021 12:47, Andrew wrote:
On 06/04/2021 14:44, williamwright wrote:
On 04/04/2021 12:52, T i m wrote:
Ally is similar
but because being light, you still need a fair load to get
anywhere.

Aluminium is the same weight per kilo as copper or brass.

Bill

:-)

Even on the moon too.

Being pedantic the mass will be the same but the weight, which
should be measured as a force in units such as Newtons, would be
somewhat less.

I was under the impression that a kilo of aluminium will be the
same weight as a kilo of copper or brass _anywhere_.

It's just on the moon they'll both weigh about a sixth of what
they do here.

With respect you've missed the difference between mass and weight.

Mass is independent of gravity and measured in kg. Weight is wholly
dependent on gravity and measured in Newtons. Weight has never been
formally measured in kg

Others might consider its use as a unit of weight in UK and EU
legislation pretty formal.

Which just goes to show how clueless law writers and their teachers are.

Then please share your suggestion for practicable definitions of
weights for the purposes of "weights and measures" legislation which
don't equate it with mass.Â* And FTAOD that's practicable including
taking account of the variation in gravitational acceleration from
place to place.

Simply by describing objects measured by way of by mass and not weight.
We have volumes measure in unit of pints or litres, so why not measure
mass in terms of units for 'mass'?

Three points on that.

First, that is not defining weight at all.

Second, it makes me wonder if you know the UK legislation - especially:

"for the purposes of any measurement of weight falling to be so made,
the weight of any thing may be expressed, by reference to the units of
measurement set out in Part V of that Schedule, in the same terms as its
mass." (s.1(2) Weights and Measures Act 1985)

Third, "law writers" legislate with more than an eye to people going
about their daily lives, and so wish to avoid such things as:

Customer: "How much does that leg of pork weigh?"
Butcher: "I can't tell you that. I can tell you it's
mass is 1.2 kg."

--
Robin