Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Sealant for Espresso Machine Fitting?

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:32:27 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 9:20:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 09:41:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Has it always leaked? If not, what changed? If so, why didn't you get
it fixed or take it back when it was new?

Like I first posted, I had to replace the steam valve because that was leaking,
not the nipple connection.

How was the nipple sealed before?

Like I said, IDK. When I went to take the nut off the old nipple, it would not come
off easy. There was a little bit of something on the threads. Not sure if it was
some mineral deposits, corrosion, or sealant. But given that something had to
be there to keep it from leaking, I'm betting it was sealant. I wired brushed it
a bit and put some PB Blaster on it and it came right off. The parts diagram
does not show any part going between the nipple nut and boiler fitting.

Whatever was there, I don't think it was RTV though, because that leaves traces
that are silicone like material, bits that are rubbery, etc. Whatever was there
must have been more like threadlocker, but I have confidence that RTV will
work. We'll see.

Update. I got the silicone sealant and it worked, no more leak at the fitting
and with the new steam valve, no more dripping from the steam wand.
If anyone needs similar, it's Silco RTV 6500. Good to 500F and food safe.
It cost ~$6 on Ebay.