Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Plumbing question

On 09/04/2021 15:38, Scott wrote:
We are having a problem with some sort of airlock - a buzzing noise. I
live in a block of flats. I believe the problem lies with the rising
main, though neighbours disagree.

The rising main terminates at a storage tank in the loft. I believe
think various neighbours have taken feeds from it over the years. At
the entry to the storage tank there is an vertical extension to the
pipe, about 12 inches long. I *think* that was put there as a
silencer previously. Should this extension contain water or air? Is
there any action to take, such as bleeding it, if we are now getting
water hammer?

I have tried pushing down the ball cock in the hope of releasing air.
This seems to have helped but not fully resolved the issue. Any
advice welcome.

The idea of the air column is to provide an air cushion to stop the
water hammer. It should be filled with air, and you also hope that
trapped air in the cold water supply will keep the air pocket topped up.

Changing the valve to another type can also change the precise
characteristics and stop the resonance. It's all very hit and miss.

Even moving the float can change the resonance of the float arm and make
a difference.