Posted to alt.home.repair

Default end of my gutter has popped off, how to repair?

On 4/8/2021 6:20 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/8/2021 1:15 PM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 9:46:08 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
That's how mine are done. To repair, if you have the tools and it was
riveted
I'd do that. No tools and it was riveted you can use sheet metal screws.
Just crimped on, then just use silicone sealant, which needs to be
applied
anyway to make it water tight.

I can't remember why I bought my pop riveter (blind riveter.)Â* I
haven't used it that often but it does come in handy once in a while.

There is one huge advantage over sheet metal screws.Â* You put the pin
in the riveter, climb the ladder, insert and squeeze, and you're done.

With a sheet metal self tapper, you climb the ladder with a
screwdriver and the screw, fiddle around getting it lined up and the
screwdriver tip on it, start to turn and it squirts out and falls in
the bushes.Â* So you go back down the ladder, look for ten minutes,
give up and get a new screw.Â* This time you'll be more careful.Â* Maybe.

I've pop riveted fallen downspouts with it but still had to drill holes
for the rivets.Â* It is easier than self tapping screws.

Sure, but if someone is asking here how to repaid a downspout, they
probably do not have a pop rivet gun.