Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol(motorbike etc)

On 08/04/2021 15:38, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
https://mocktheorytest.com/checkquestion/car/all/1/268/
Therefore "C" is the obvious and correct answer.

"A" may additionally be the right answer (as well as "C") if you
yourself are also driving a high vehicle ;-)Â* And that could apply to
car drivers (ie not just HGV or PCV drivers who have an additional
level of test) if they had a bike on a roof-rack.

I agree but isn't the test here for a 'car'.

But is it assumed that it is a normal-height car with nothing on a
roof-rack, and not a higher-than-normal SUV - or a Transit van which can
still be driven on a car licence? OK, I'm being picky here.

Once the bridge is proved to be clear, I tend to go through the highest
part if it looks as if the edges will be anywhere *near* the height of
my car - taking no chances.

I remember seeing a road-safety question that gave several different
answers for "is it safe to overtake on a hill approaching a bend". The
question did not specify whether up or down. I maintain that it is safe
to overtake on a *down* hill because that gives you a very good view of
the road beyond the bend, and also accelerates your car quickest, so you
can be on the wrong side of the road for the least time.

Of course they wanted the "proper" answer that overtaking on an *up*
hill before a bend is bloody stupid because you can't see round the bend
and over the brow of the hill, and you are having to accelerate with
gravity working against you.

It shows that you have to word your questions very carefully to avoid
smart-arses who are looking for get-out clauses ;-)

There was one in the papers about the French theory test a few years
back. They asked which was it safest to be in when hitting a wall - a
tank or a car. The answer they wanted was car, because it has seat
belts, crumple zones and airbags. But obviously the wall makes a
difference - if it is a metres thick castle wall, then the car may be
best, but if it is a dry-stone wall around a field or a house wall, then
the tank would likely just roll through it safely.