Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scrap car battery.

On 06/04/2021 16:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
JohnP wrote:

John Smith wrote in news:2021040318145743662-
nospam@nospamcom:

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

Sorry - I think it is very irresponsible:

Others take your lead and all sorts of stuff appear on the front making the
area look a mess.

Those who take it will fly tip the unwanted parts.

They will contaminate land with fluids.

It encourages undesirables to keep driving past looking for stuff..

Scrap dealers with small trucks drive round here regularly.
Nowadays, If I have metal odds and ends to get rid of, I just
leave them on the lawn, and within 24 hours they are gone.

Yes, from time to time others do the same, sometimes with scrap,
others with stuff that some might find useful. No way could it be
considered detrimental to the appearance of the area.

A few years ago when I actually paid the council to have a
fridge-freezer removed, it was one of those very trucks (complete
with documentation - I checked) who collected it.

Back in the '80s, my uncle and his family lived in Germany for about 5
years. Once a month, everyone put out their old bikes, washing machines,
cookers, furniture, etc. and people could take anything that they
wanted. Afterwards, the council would collect whatever was next for
recycling/disposal.