Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Asbestos Cement Watertank

On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face,
masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle

especially if wetted. It is the dust in the lungs that is the danger
Also whitre asbestos is not nearly the problem that blue asbestos is.

and like
you our LA had a site where householders could dispose of the
material as long as it was double bagged and sealed.

Consider cutting it up inside transparerant bags as well

? The thing to
avoid is breaking it as this can release fine particles which are
hard to confine so if you can get it down in one piece that is your
safest option.

Not necessarily. In conjunction with air filtration on a HEP equipped
vacuum, and bagging as much as possible before breaking up, it may be
easier to split it in situ with far less chance of dust escaping.

Â*We struggled to avoid breakages due to the poor state
of the roof

exactly. If its gonna break, make sure it does it in a sealed bag if
possible

despite cutting through the nails holding the panels
several broke as the panels were lifted. We did not clear the ground
by hosing as the next week the groundworks contractors arrived and
broke up the base and part of the drive and removed it.

Richard

+1 to all that. I wouldn't go further than a rubber-sealed facemask with
disposable cartridge filters, I'd say HEPA and vacuum is OTT. Disposable
"SOCO" type suit. Main precaution is to try to contain it all within
heavy gauge polythene sheeting (rubble sack type).