View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Asbestos Cement Watertank

On 06/04/2021 10:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 15:15:07 UTC+1, David Reid wrote:
Hi,
I am in the middle of sorting out our loft space at the moment but now have the issue of a disused watertank. We had a combi boiler installed about 2yrs ago which meant our watertank in the loft has been sitting there with a heavy duty plastic bag around it ever since - it has been confirmed asbestos cement already (1970's property - with label on tank).

I would like to know if this is something I could tackle myself? Given my intended approach. - Full PPE - suit, mask and rubber gloves, quite a few very large heavy duty bags to put the tank in and then just wet the whole tank before breaking it down inside several bags. Our local Recycling centre as already confirmed this is something they can take as they have the facility for householders to take their own asbestos (atleast double bagged) to their site.

Obviously I have full respect of the material I am dealing with which is why I'm not just charging in there. Although I feel confident with my method I have minimal risk.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
David

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...k-3109620-.htm

I disposed of an old asbestos garage roof myself, full PPE face, masks, goggles and gloves. It is reasonably safe to handle and like you our LA had a site where householders could dispose of the material as long as it was double bagged and sealed. The thing to avoid is breaking it as this can release fine particles which are hard to confine so if you can get it down in one piece that is your safest option. We struggled to avoid breakages due to the poor state of the roof despite cutting through the nails holding the panels several broke as the panels were lifted. We did not clear the ground by hosing as the next week the groundworks contractors arrived and broke up the base and part of the drive and removed it.

Our local council has made it a bit more difficult, although still
possible. We used to be able to double bag it and take it to almost any
tip, where they had containers specifically for it. Similarly for
plasterboard. Now for either, there is only one site that accepts it and
that is not a normal tip, it is for the council's own wagons. You now
have to make an appointment and cannot go on site unless you are wearing
safety boots, hi-viz jacket and hard-hat. And you can only go during
"office" hours, so have to take time off work to take it!