Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan[_21_] Alan[_21_] is offline

Default EICRs

On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 13:23:32 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

It is strange how social housing are exempt, all all the tenancies that
might well require a periodic inspection, that would be one.

I do work for a large Housing Assn.
Yes, it is true, we do not have to do any periodic electrical
inspections, or even provide a smoke detector in the properties.
But we do. On change of Tenancy, a full inspection is carried out.

The onus on the HA is to provide a suitable means of keeping the houses
in a safe condition. With 10 houses, periodic maintenance would be
sufficient. With 19000, it gets far more complicated, so Inspections are
carried out, and smoke detectors are fitted to the latest Private
Landlord Regs. - detector up and downstairs,in the living room, kitchen,
and a CO in anywhere with a gas burning appliance.
Periodic Electrical Inspections are not carried out on a 5 yearly basis,
it is left to the Tenant to ask for it to be done, or, when we visit to
repair something, we note that it needs Inspecting. There are very few of
the properties that do not meet 17th Ed.(original) Regs. There are still
a lot of plastic CU's around, these are marked as a C3 on an inspection.
No need to change it if it still works well.
As far as smoke detectors are concerned, I've seen the stats that show
that social housing has a very low rate of fires damaging the properties,
private rented accomodation has a far higher figure.