Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default [OT] Car phone holder

On 04/04/2021 18:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/04/2021 23:28, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/04/2021 13:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 18:23:51 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below
the rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

I always use my phone in landscape mode.

Important that it will hold firm - to the windscreen and will not
bounce
(too much, anyway) when the road is a little bumpy. The phone will
not
rest on the dashboard as the holder will be fixed too high for
that (I
like to be able to see the road below it). Sensible price too.

Does anyone have experience (good? bad?) with these two? Can
recommend
another suitable for the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...een-Dashboard-
Holder-Mount-For-GPS-Mobile-Phone-UK/163666666239

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-In-Ca...der-Dashboard-
Suction-Home-Universal-Mount-Windscreen/284102467299

Many thanks.

Personally my advice is to forget anything with suction. It *will*
fail,
and it *will* fail catastrophically. And having a corner edge of a
smartphone to your 'nads might be a brief distraction from
following your
route, but it's not really compensation.

I have a magnetic holder which clips onto the vent, and came with a
metal
disc that can either be stuck to your phone/case or (in my case)
slipping
inside the back of the case.

My wife likes Tom Toms.

She's mad, google maps leaves them for dead now.

She has had 2 over the last 10 years. Their devices weight a ton.
Probably twice the weight of a smart phone. Their holders have
stayed on the windscreen, never failed or removed during that time.
Suction. The devices are held as if in a vice - no movement whatsoever.

It can be done. This is why I was asking for advice.

I know a universal phone holder has to be a little more
accommodating, but I have yet to see a decent one..

I've bee a TomTom hater myself for many years and refused to go
anywhere near it.

I did prefer it to the NavMans, Garmins and
Magellans before google maps showed up
but much prefer google maps now.

Tom Tom was alywas better than those you mentioned. Still pretty awful.

I must say though that their latest version for a smart phone is
actually very good,

Pity about the stupid price.

Yep.

and my preferred choice in the last year or so. It does use Google
when searching, and up-to-date traffic too,

Google maps does real time arrival time allowing
for current traffic much better because it uses
mobile phone base traffic to work that out.

I agree that this is good, but a few minutes either way hardly make any
difference to me. Just back from a 2:40 minute drive, combination of
inner city, suburbs and motorway. Tom Tom was off by 3 minutes in the
end from the guesstimated arrival time at the beginning.

and the navigation is 10x clearer that Google Maps or Waze (same owner
now).

I never look at the screen when driving, too dangerous.
I use the voice turn by turn navigation.

I do. A habit.
Zooming into every junction/roundabout is particularly good,

Why do you need to do that ?Â* Laned turn by turn
navigation works much better when driving.

I find it invaluable when entering complicated junctions/roundabout. All
but impossible to work out what's going on with Google. Tom Tom (and
others) zoom into the junction as you enter it, making it much easier to
see where you are/need to go.

and awful with the two mentioned above. Especially in a complex
situation (i.e. in town or a motorway with many exits/roadsabove/below).

See above.

The UI is also much better.

Dont agree with that.

A matter of taste I suppose.

But nothing like google maps street view.