Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default [OT] Car phone holder

On 03/04/2021 23:28, Rod Speed wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/04/2021 13:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 18:23:51 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

My trusty holder broke to day and it is time for a new one.

Looking for one that can be fixed to the windscreen, just below the
rear
mirror, as I use the phone as my SatNav.

I always use my phone in landscape mode.

Important that it will hold firm - to the windscreen and will not
bounce
(too much, anyway) when the road is a little bumpy. The phone will not
rest on the dashboard as the holder will be fixed too high for that (I
like to be able to see the road below it). Sensible price too.

Does anyone have experience (good? bad?) with these two? Can recommend
another suitable for the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...een-Dashboard-
Holder-Mount-For-GPS-Mobile-Phone-UK/163666666239

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-In-Ca...der-Dashboard-
Suction-Home-Universal-Mount-Windscreen/284102467299

Many thanks.

Personally my advice is to forget anything with suction. It *will* fail,
and it *will* fail catastrophically. And having a corner edge of a
smartphone to your 'nads might be a brief distraction from following
your
route, but it's not really compensation.

I have a magnetic holder which clips onto the vent, and came with a
metal
disc that can either be stuck to your phone/case or (in my case)
slipping
inside the back of the case.

My wife likes Tom Toms.

She's mad, google maps leaves them for dead now.

She has had 2 over the last 10 years. Their devices weight a ton.
Probably twice the weight of a smart phone. Their holders have stayed
on the windscreen, never failed or removed during that time. Suction.
The devices are held as if in a vice - no movement whatsoever.

It can be done. This is why I was asking for advice.

I know a universal phone holder has to be a little more accommodating,
but I have yet to see a decent one..

I've bee a TomTom hater myself for many years and refused to go anywhere
near it.

I must say though that their latest version for a smart phone is
actually very good, and my preferred choice in the last year or so. It
does use Google when searching, and up-to-date traffic too, and the
navigation is 10x clearer that Google Maps or Waze (same owner now).
Zooming into every junction/roundabout is particularly good, and awful
with the two mentioned above. Especially in a complex situation (i.e. in
town or a motorway with many exits/roadsabove/below). The UI is also
much better.