Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser[_2_] John Keiser[_2_] is offline

Default Six for the price of two?

On 4/3/2021 11:01 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 3 Apr 2021 10:11:52 -1000, John Keiser
wrote:

On 4/3/2021 6:37 AM, micky wrote:
I know it's not the same vendor -- Wait, it is the SAME vendor -- so how
is it that on ebay there is one Denso ignition pack for a 2005 3.3L
Toyota engine for $70, and a 6-pack for $158?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-OEM-DE...6/392934898333

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pack-OEM-...E/233707357463

Your links shows $32 each.

The first one does, but it was $70 yesterday! (It shows as marked down
from that 70 and if you were unlucky enough to buy it yesterday, that's
what they charged! Do you think any webpage is smart enough to charge
more the first time you look at it and then lower the price a day later?
That's what a live salesman might do, and you could write software to do
it, I guess just using cookies would be enough, but I've never noticed a
substantial reduction in price before after only a day or two.)

The second one shows that price too, and it was that same price
yesterday.

Denso is a quality brand at a good price point.
[I go Denso although I have found generic Chinese equally useful.]
If you are replacing a COP in the rear bank which requires removal of
the intake manifold, replace all 3.

Makes sense.

Without a garage and another car and more energy than I have these days,
I don't think I can remove the intake manifold and also get it back on.
(I'm pretty sure I can do the first part.)

I have (or had**) a misfire on cylinder 1 and 2 out of 6, plus a random
misfire, but iiuc it could be the injector, the injector circuit, or a
couple less likely things (compression, fuel pressure).

**I just discovered this yesterday. I cleared those codes this morning
but haven't gone anywhere since. They're just about sure to re-apperar,
I assume. It runs smoothly, as nice as ever. Has plenty of
acceleration and power.

**I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkQgNyUmDHo where
he replaces the spark plugs in the rear bank, in a car just like mine
but one year older. It takes 21 minutes not counting parts he skips
(including replacing the plugs!) and not counting reassembly, It's all
disassembly. Well,maybe I could do this. I suppose I could take
picture and make notes and then I could get it back together. I could
bring all the parts inside overnight.

(I'd like to do something fairly big at least once. I'd like to rebuild
an engine but I'll never do that.)

The danger of ignoring the misfire for an extended period would be
damage to the catalytic converter. If it recurs, don't drive too long
without fixing the problem.

If the bad COP if the front bank, probably very easy to replace.
There is possibly a YouTube on your specific motor detailing how to get
to the rear bank. I don't know if the YouTube link you provided is your
model. You can judge whether you have the skills. I have always reused
the gaskets but it would be good to have a fresh set if the old ones
don't look/feel perfect. The other point that is sometimes overlooked:
the manifold is plastic and you need a torque wrench with a low
setting to make sure that you do not over-tighten when you reassemble.
The plastic manifold can crack or distort if you don't follow an
alternating pattern or if you use excess force. The amount of torque is
surprisingly low.