Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 12v LED spot replacement

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 14:34:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
snip

That's why we still(?) have 2 x 6' flouros in the kitchen and whilst
working (on the Home Automation system as well), no plans to change
them. Especially when I think the suggestion is that it's not worth
going over to dedicated LED replacements on a purely financially
(energy saving) basis. [1]

I'm willing to pay extra for the amount and quality of light I want.

Yeah, same here in some instances.

Which
brings us back to lighting or just illumination.

Quite. I think most people only need illumination and will / may go
for more specific lighting where required.

I've been forced to go LED in places due to the tungsten I preferred being
NLA. Add in the costs of replacing dimmers too, and it will take a long
time to pay back via lower bills.

Yeah.

And although they're getting closer, the
light quality from LEDs still doesn't suit me as well as halogen.

I agree in many instances, especially where you are looking for a lot
of light (in conventional domestic forms). Having lights you can
easily aim can be handy and I have an LED one (Ikea possibly) on a
flexy-gooseneck clipped on one on the desk here. In most cases it just
creates some background light but is also handy for pointing at things
I need a good / close look at, often with the addition of a magnifier.
;-)

snip

He has offered me the LED 'tubes' and I said I'd like to have them, to
try in the kitchen or use in the garage (if they are bright enough).

I really hate that when they claim to have the same light output when any
fool can see they're lying. But only after you've bought them.

Snap ... although I think we now sorta 'expect' that to be the case
don't we?

I'd love to see some truly independent tests of LED versus decent
florries. I've yet to see any which give the same quality and intensity.

This was why 1) I haven't changed mine in the kitchen yet and 2) was
interested to try these from my mate, not only for the actual light
level but the general illumination. Like, if they only have downward
facing LEDs, how much light do I currently enjoy that has been
reflected off the fitting, (white) ceiling or cupboards?

And think the claims for energy saving - like for like - vastly
exaggerated.

Especially when compared against fluorescent (inc CFL) etc.

I even thought about fitting high frequency gear in the existing
fittings as that might make them start quicker but the electronic
starters seem to have that down to one blink and on. In most cases the
lights are already on by the time I'm a pace into the kitchen (and
that's including the Zigbee PIR (in a 3D printed round case stuck in
the middle of the kitchen ceiling) picking up my movement as I go in
from the hall and the RPi telling the WiFi switch to turn on). ;-)

Cheers, T i m