Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Quality of Vonhaus tools?

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 12:25:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 12:44:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
My experience is you can't beat Lidl for budget tools. Snag being they are
only on special offer, so you can't buy them when you want. The three year
money back warranty being better than most. But do keep the receipt in
case. Not that I've ever needed it.

Of course this is for DIY use. If a heavy user, Makita etc likely makes
more sense.

I love Lidl's fresh veg. Not had quite so much luck with the tools,
though that's mainly my fault for not keeping the receipts.

Out of interest, what did you buy you didn't have luck with?

It was the heavy duty SDS drill. Second time of light use and it
locked up completely. I did write to Lidl about it but as I'd mislaid
the receipt in a house move I didn't get a positive response.

Ah - right. I bought one of the original De Walt lightweight SDS drills
not long after it first came out (expensive) and it is still fine, so not
needed the Lidl one. I've no need for a heavy duty one.

Then again, as you say, if the Lidl tools were there when you wanted
them, that would be more of an inducement.

It would, but keeping a stock would make them much more expensive. My
guess is they go to a maker and ask what they have excess capacity for to
get the very best deal. Although they might have the Lidl brand name on
them, they seem to come from lots of makers.
--

I'm still open to the possibilities but next time I'll take better
care of the receipt.

I stick them all in a small folder. ;-)

I was doing some brickwork for a new window opening. And decided a 9"
angle grinder would be useful. Not having needed one before looked into
hiring. At about that time Lidl had one on offer. Bought it and a diamond
blade for about the same cost as hiring for a weekend. It did the job, and
a later window too. And has been lent out a few times. And still works
fine. It is soft start too.

I'm certain a Makita would be a better buy for a pro who uses it every
day. But I'd rather have three different tools for the same money for DIY.

If I manage to adopt your very rational attitude to these matters, I
can only hope I have the same level of luck in doing so.
--

Mike