Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default EICRs

On 02/04/2021 15:41, Robin wrote:
If soon 02/04/2021 14:59, Fredxx wrote:
On 02/04/2021 08:15, Robin wrote:

snip

The guidance includes their best effort to wriggle round the way they
went ahead with a regulation that mandates "the electrical safety
standards" of the 18th edition despite admitting that they never
intended to require landlords to replace every plastic CU etc.

That link says, "Ensure national standards for electrical safety are
met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the €˜Wiring
Regulations, which are published as British Standard 7671."

Now, to my knowledge these may be standards but the standard allows
for deviations that can be justified. In other words it is reasonable
to argue the rules within BS 7671 are more a guide to good practice
rather than a set of prescribed rules.

I'd be interested to read how the following example can be construed as
"more a guide to good practice rather than a set of prescribed rules".

421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and
similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall

(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or

(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of
non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.

I don't have the 17th or 18th edition at hand, but there are comments on
the design of a system that precede those paragraphs which can include
deviations.