Posted to rec.woodworking

Default jointers

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 18:05:44 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 22:20:40 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

Sounds like your pitch (to your significant other and/or yourself) needs
some work.... Frame it in terms of "I cannot do this job without that
tool"
and things go much better. ;~)

Well, moons ago I used that plan (justified more to myself than
SWMBO). I generally ended up tools that didn't work to my
satisfaction. I moved from that to waiting until I could afford the
tool I really wanted. Now I can afford it. Next year I'll have time
to use it. ;-)

I was intending to retire earlier this year but I agreed to at least
finish the project I'm working on, so it'll probably be September.
Covid forced work-from-home has made it really easy.

Seriously, the track saw has been the best power tool I've bought. I
didn't believe Leon, several years ago, but I use my table saw a lot
less than I once did. The track saw is almost always out.

I seldom use sheet goods so I haven't felt a need for a track saw... and
when I do it's something like 1/2" CDX where a hand guided circular saw is
accurate enough for the job.

You don't make furniture out of CDX? I guess you're no Ikea.

Sheet goods are probably 90% of what I do, so...

My shaper is my least used stationary tool but when I need it I need it.

I think a router table will do everything I need to do.

The retirement decision is a tough one. Putting things in the context of all
my friends, siblings, and other family members who didn't make it past age
62 changed my view. I've also been talking to a lot of my friends about it.
Universally they, and I, went out or plan to go out sooner than we thought
we would even five years ago. One spent years planning his retirement from
the business world and his run for congress. He is well connected,
financed, and likely would have won. When all was said and done he decided
that he'd done enough public service, retired, and is taking time for he and
his wife instead. Me... I've cut way down on my public service and am
focusing on myself, family and my close friends instead.

It isn't easy. After fifty years working, it's scary. I should be in
good shape, barring hyperinflation (everyone in Washington seems hard
at work on it though), I should be fine. It's a big decision with no
way back. My boss was talking about dropping to two days per week but
hasn't said anything in some time. I think the business isn't ready
for contractors yet. They got rid of almost all of them a year ago.