Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for "less than premium" lumber.

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 29 Mar 2021 10:40:36 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

One's own personal wood lot, inherited from ancestors who planted
the finest trees for future use by their woodwright descendents?

When I went to the local lumber yard years ago to buy cedar for my
front porch I asked to have a second bale opened up because what was
open was of pretty poor quality and had been pretty well picked
through. Bob the lumber man - who was a customer of mine said no - it
was all grade A cedar and I couldn't expect lumber to be "perfect". I
told him what he had left open was certainly not grade "A" - more like
"Grafe K" for Kindling. He finally relented and opened a new bale
rather than lose my business - for good.

And of course, opening a new bale is no guarantee that you'll get anything
better, especially if you don't use it quickly.

I recently grabbed a bunch of 2 x 4's from a fresh bale at Lowe's. Sighted
them as best possible for quality. I had 2 left over after a project and laid
them on my assembly table, face to face, nice and flat. I stacked a few
smaller cut-offs on top. A few days later I went downstairs and found the
cut-offs on the floor. Huh? How'd that happen? Do I have critters in my
basement?

I recall ripping a 2x4 with a circular saw. As I completed the
cut I looked back and lo, two parts have bowed outwards leaving a one
inch or more gap at the middle, while the ends were touching. I used
those boards for a bench, made it "springy".
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.