Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seat belts on school buses?

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 02:41:56 -0000 (UTC), MikeJ
wrote:

jimmy wrote in
news
On 3/29/21 1:04 AM, MikeJ wrote:
wrote in
:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 04:29:53 -0000 (UTC), MikeJ
wrote:

With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask
mandate, auto crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance),
I've always wondered why seat belts aren't required on school
buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too
much lobbying money against it?
Would you want to be the person to tell a bunch of kids to fasten
their seat belt?
If you think they would, you must be old.
They have enough trouble keeping them from smoking dope and having
sex on the bus.

You're a cynical wise ass.

But he's not wrong.

His answer is wrong, and irrelevant. The reason there are not seatbelts
on school buses is *not* because the bus driver doesn't want to tell a
bunch of kids to buckle up, and it's *not* because the driver is too
busy trying to keep the kids from getting high or having sex on the bus.

Ed Pawlowski, and others, had the answer. I appreciated that.

There is more than one reason. Plenty of people will say "if we just
save one kid ..."