Posted to alt.home.repair
marika marika is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 2:56:51 PM UTC-5, marika wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:58:25 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/29/21 10:52 AM, Frank wrote:
On 3/29/2021 10:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/29/2021 06:49 AM, Frank wrote:
I have a Crosstrek now configured the same and in latter years with not
much driving just have the dealer service it. Out of curiosity I
watched a You Tube video on a guy changing the oil and he had a struggle
getting off the factory installed filter.

They haven't read the part about a quarter turn after the seal touches
at the factory. I've gotten a collection of those end cap things over
the years and generally have one that fits. If not I fall back on the
strap wrench.

I had the dealer put on a filter I could not get off in the limited
space under my Forester when I went to change the oil. I made the
dealer take it off and replace it with my filter. I had been screwed on
a 60,000 mile service where I had changed the oil a couple of months
before I went in and did not realize that they had done an unnecessary
engine flush.

Surprising the dealer would install a part you supplied.

The usual party line why they won't do it is that the dealership
agreement prohibits installing anything but factory/OEM parts due to
liability and fit/function issues...the real reason being they don't
make any money on the part- just on the labor to install it.

OTOH, I can't imagine going into a nice restaurant and saying "here,
please cook and serve me this nice sirloin steak I bought in the
supermarket across the street" ;-)

On a business trip in Kentucky, we were repeatedly steered to the best restaurant in town. It was a dry county. We ate there and the restaurant was good

The owner told us about a gas station across the Kentucky line in Virginia that would sell us wine and venison. He told us to return with the venison and he would cook it

He did not tell us the restaurant was closed the next day so we had the place to ourselves

We ordered vegetables, sides and desserts off the menu, but he cooked the venison

It was very good

at the end, when we asked for the bill, he refused to charge us

We left a nice hefty tip

Try Kentucky next time

mk5000

Although some of these theories have been deduced from a prior theoretical framework, none was the result of empirical testing or exploratory data-gathering. In the ensuing section, we turn to consider empirically-oriented research regarding the number and nature of potential musical functions.--The psychological functions of music listening
Thomas Schäfer,1,* Peter Sedlmeier,1 Christine Städtler,1 and David Huron2

correction

it was bison