Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On 3/29/21 10:52 AM, Frank wrote:
On 3/29/2021 10:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/29/2021 06:49 AM, Frank wrote:
I have a Crosstrek now configured the same and in latter years with not
much driving just have the dealer service it.Â* Out of curiosity I
watched a You Tube video on a guy changing the oil and he had a struggle
getting off the factory installed filter.

They haven't read the part about a quarter turn after the seal touches
at the factory. I've gotten a collectionÂ* of those end cap things over
the years and generally have one that fits. If not I fall back on the
strap wrench.

I had the dealer put on a filter I could not get off in the limited
space under my Forester when I went to change the oil.Â* I made the
dealer take it off and replace it with my filter.Â* I had been screwed on
a 60,000 mile service where I had changed the oil a couple of months
before I went in and did not realize that they had done an unnecessary
engine flush.

Surprising the dealer would install a part you supplied.

The usual party line why they won't do it is that the dealership
agreement prohibits installing anything but factory/OEM parts due to
liability and fit/function issues...the real reason being they don't
make any money on the part- just on the labor to install it.

OTOH, I can't imagine going into a nice restaurant and saying "here,
please cook and serve me this nice sirloin steak I bought in the
supermarket across the street" ;-)

--
Name one time in human history when the group seeking to ban books and
censor speech were the good guys. I'll wait...