Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default looking for "less than premium" lumber.

DerbyDad03 on Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:18:46 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 11:04:52 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
knuttle on Sat, 27 Mar 2021 15:45:40
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Considering what construction lumber is going for these days, it is all
less than premium.
Today's 2x4 that goes for $8 is the same quality as last years $3 2x4.

Tain't the cost so much as I don't need pristine, organically
grown, faire trade, each tree individually selected and harvested by
druids in a sustainable manner, hand selected by virgins "perfect"
lumber. I just want "board, 2"x4"x96", one each" etc. Something
grade three or below.
I tend to go check Home Depots "mark down cart" - 70% off. Yes,
that's a major defect. OTOH, there is 7 feet of board without the
defect, and I can cut the two pieces I want out of it. "It will do."

Do you have a Restore (Habitat for Humanity) near you. Some have a lot
of lumber, at usually a good price.
I do, and I have, and I've gone broke saving money.

OTOH, they don't always have the size I'm after. Which brings me
back to my first query: what happens to the less than Premium Grade
hand selected gluten free vegan lumber? Shirley, it can't all be
getting sent to the PRC?

I guess I don't know what you mean by less than Premium Grade lumber.

What I mean is that if I go to a web site for a lumber yard, big
box store, whatever - I am assured that what they offer is the finest
premium lumber. Perfect for Your Home Project! And their prices
reflect that. Great.
Except I am not looking to build beautiful furniture that I can
pass along to the children, grand children and the antique
auctioneers.

I know that there are lesser grades of lumber, I'm just wondering
if there are retail outlets handling it, or do I have to search for a
sawmill and order a "unit"/ pallet load?

Even the Premium Grade lumber at most home centers is less than Premium
Grade.

Deceptive Advertising is SOP.

I have never shoped at one but there are some company that call
themseves discount lumber yard. Do you have one of these.