Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
Of course you change your filter every time you change your oil!

Here's why:
You're already underneath the vehicle.
The drain pan is in already place.
You already have oily hands and a greasy smear on your face.
You've already skinned your right hand knuckles and yelled Damn it!
Walmart sells a standard Fram oil filter for $3.88 while Fram's "Ultra
Synthetic 20,000 Mile Change Interval" filter goes for $8.57.

You have not changed the filter on some of the newer cars. Toyota has
gone to an old timey cartrage type filter instead of the screw on ones.
You often have to remove much of the shielding or whatever you call that
stuff under the engine that helps with the wind resistance.

As I have gotten lazy in the last few years and don't drive much, I just
take my car and truck to the dealer once a year and let them service it
and inspect it. Doubt they change the filter, but who knows ?

There are a lot of vehicles with cartridge filters. That started over 20
years ago. Some are easy, some are a pain. Then you have some cars that
no longer have drain plugs and use spin on filters. Just keeping track
can be fun. I do like some of them though, top mounted oil filter and
easy access dipstick that you can pull all the oil out of. Nothing like
not even getting dirt on your hands to do an oil change.

--
Steve W.