Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Getting a new energy tariff - or not

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :
As opposed to privatized, where the incentive is to make the maximum
profit.

But against considerable competition vying for our custom, so the net
result is much cheaper for us. I think that is important.

So we have lots of companies with lots of duplicated overheads selling
exactly the same product. And all making a profit. Which makes absolutely
no sense at all.

Strangely overheads tend to scale with the size of the company, with
large companies having disproportionately higher overheads.

Competition will also have effect of reducing those overheads. Hence the
numbers of small companies, rather than one big, efficient one.

So it really isn't that simple.

It isn't. If all those small companies were equally as efficient, they'd
all charge the same.

But competition ensures they are all striving to be better.
But we all know they are slow to tell you if even they could give *you* a
better deal. So their priority is to make the largest possible profit.

They are required to now by the regulator. Their priority is to survive.
--
bert