Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 21:19:52 +0530, mike
wrote:

On 27-03-2021 12:35 Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mostly it gets better.

I agree. The API rating that I use most don't get worse.
The API quality rating started with SA/SB/SC and now it's SP (afaict).

I will say that I don't have a good way to compare all the standards though.
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, A3/B4 A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12
API SN, SN Plus, SN-RC, SM, SL, SP
BMW LL-01, LL-04
Chrysler MS 6395
FIAT 9.55535-H2, FIAT 9.55535-M2, FIAT 9.55535-N2
Ford WSS-M2C153-H, WSS-M2C929-A, WSS-M2C930-A, WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C947-A
GM-Opel LL B-025
GM 4718M, 6094M, LL-A-025, dexos1 Gen 2, Gen 3
Honda HTO-06
ILSAC GF-5, GF-4, GF-3
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN0700, RN0710
VW 502 00 - 505 00

Do you?

But I notice that you completely removed all of my
points about ZDDP.

Do you own a diesel?

The base oil gets better, but the additive package changes in ways that
may or may not be an improvement depending on your requirements.

Does your gasoline engine vehicle have a modern cat?
Does your state do periodic smog inspections on that vehicle with a cat?

Several cars I service have flat tappet engines that require ZDDP.
Several of them were old enough to vote before the first catalytic
converter saw the light of day.
Hundreds of thousands of cars with catalytic converters survived just
fine with ZDDPin the oil - but it wasn't 0w20 oil, and unless the
engine was wornout virtually no oil (oe ZDDP) got through to the cat.
Buy the oil that meets the specification in the fine manual provided
with your car.

If your car says change the oil every second time, fine - do it if
you like.

Just cut the BS trying to prove to everyone you are a mensa level
genius when you can't find non-synthetic oil -.

You are an IDIOT - not a GENIUS.