Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
mike[_30_] mike[_30_] is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On 27-03-2021 17:01 Scott Dorsey wrote:

Same way you compare any two oils.

Alls you have is the jug in your hand when you're at the store.

Do you know of any real reviews (unbiased, not shills, not bull****)?

Viscosity breakdown with time,
viscosity curve with temperature, adhesion, solvent characteristics,
ability to keep particulates in solution, three-ball test, etc.

All oils "breakdown with time."

Nothing wrong with replacing oil every single day but I'm asking about
specifications for synthetic oil when the factory shop manual is followed.
https://addinol.de/en/products/lubri...pecifications/

There are standards for all this stuff and in general the European
standards are tighter than the US ones.

As the saying goes the problem is there are so many standards.

ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, A3/B4 A5/B5-10, A5/B5-12
https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

API SN, SN Plus, SN-RC, SM, SL, SP
https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/api-sn.php

BMW LL-01, LL-04
https://www.oilspecifications.org/bmw.php

Chrysler MS 6395
http://www.kmn-lubricants.com/wp-con...e-05-03-13.pdf

FIAT 9.55535-H2, FIAT 9.55535-M2, FIAT 9.55535-N2
https://www.oilspecifications.org/fiat.php

Ford WSS-M2C153-H, WSS-M2C929-A, WSS-M2C930-A, WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C947-A
https://www.oilspecifications.org/ford.php

GM-Opel LL B-025
https://www.oilspecifications.org/general_motors_gm.php

GM 4718M, 6094M, LL-A-025, dexos1 Gen 2, Gen 3
https://www.oilspecifications.org/general_motors_gm.php

Honda HTO-06
http://pqiadata.org/Honda_0W20.html

ILSAC GF-5, GF-4, GF-3
https://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php

MB-Approval 229.5
https://www.oilspecifications.org/mercedes_mb.php

Porsche A40
https://lnengineering.com/products/j...cing-oils.html

Renault RN0700, RN0710
https://www.oilspecifications.org/renault.php

VW 502 00 - 505 00
https://www.oilspecifications.org/ar..._explained.php

Alls I want is to be able to compare the oils I see in the USA stores.

It's interesting to look across a given line... for example the
Castrol Syntec 10W-40 meets the latest
European standards but the 10W-30 and 10W-50 formulations do not.

Most people compare by price or brand or marketing bull**** but that's not me.
I wish to compare by what matters.

I just don't know yet how to compare by quality for various synthetics.
I'll give the manufacturers a call starting with what's at Costco today.
https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html

Kirkland (Warren Distribution is the blender in Omaha Nebraska).
https://warrendistribution.com/contact/
(800)825-1235

Mobil 1 (https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/contact-us)
(800)662-4525

Both are around $2.50 to around $3.00 per quart so price isn't the issue.
Both have the same specs on the container so I need to ask them more.

The issue is making a good decision but on this newsgroup almost
everything I've heard people are pulling out of their assholes.

Some dufuses even refuted what the articles said saying they
didn't say what they said while one pussy claimed shop manuals
didn't say what they say without producing any evidence at all.

As I've repeatedly said you can choose and change your oil on any
metric you like but just don't try to bull**** me & we will do fine.

I am not afraid to say that I do NOT yet know how to choose between
any two synthetic oils based on whats on the outside of the jug yet.

Alls I'm asking is if anyone here knows something about that choice
so that it can be made based on what's printed on the jug itself.

If it's not going to be printed on the jug itself then alls we
need is a reliable web site that isn't a shill that doesn't
spew bull**** and which actually tests oil for what matters.

Is that asking for too much from this newsgroup?