Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

In article , mike wrote:

As you can tell by now I don't get my facts out of my ass so I'm willingly
admitting openly that I don't yet know how to compare any two synthetics.

Do you?
Does anyone?

How?

Same way you compare any two oils. Viscosity breakdown with time,
viscosity curve with temperature, adhesion, solvent characteristics,
ability to keep particulates in solution, three-ball test, etc.

There are standards for all this stuff and in general the European
standards are tighter than the US ones. It's interesting to look across
a given line... for example, the Castrol Syntec 10W-40 meets the latest
European standards but the 10W-30 and 10W-50 formulations do not.
--scott