Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for "less than premium" lumber.

Clare Snyder on Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:04:32 -0400
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:30:57 -0400, knuttle

Weird question.

I'm looking to throw up a shack. A temporary building, not
intended to last more than a couple years.

Yet every lumber yard I've found advertises "premium quality"
lumber. Where can one go for "Good enough" lumber for those projects
which just have to be "done"? Somewhere above the stuff used by
"B.A.R.F. Construction" ('cost a whole lot less, looks just a good.),
though.

Or am I stuck with having to contact a mill somewhere for the
grade 4 boards (every board guaranteed to have a knot, bark, cup, bow,
or for not more money a combination of two or more.)?

{Company I worked at used that stuff for shipping commercial
countertops. The counter tops were first rate, the 'crates' - not so
much B-) }

--
pyotr filipivich
"Have the Anarchists ever stopped to consider that if they bring

Depending on what size of shed you are talking about it may be better to
buy a cheap shed from somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot. It will
probably last as long as you want it and may cost less considering cost
of materials, labor, and the time required to find it.

You may also chece Craiglist, to the like. I have seen some sheds being
given away, so the only cost would be moving it to your locations.
Depending on the size it could be doable.

I framed mine with hardwood pallet lumber - 8 foot sheet metal pallets

I still have a couple of those from work.

The problem is that I no longer work there, and the dumpster is
now behind a gate and a fence.

Dumpster diving ain' what it used to be.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.