Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default looking for "less than premium" lumber.

On 3/27/2021 3:06 AM, Bill wrote:
Michael Trew wrote:

Weird question.

Â*Â*Â*Â*I'm looking to throw up a shack.Â* A temporary building, not
intended to last more than a couple years.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Yet every lumber yard I've found advertises "premium quality"
lumber.Â* Where can one go for "Good enough" lumber for those projects
which just have to be "done"?Â* Somewhere above the stuff used by
"B.A.R.F. Construction" ('cost a whole lot less, looks just a good.),
though.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Or am I stuck with having to contact a mill somewhere for the
grade 4 boards (every board guaranteed to have a knot, bark, cup, bow,
or for not more money a combination of two or more.)?

{Company I worked at used that stuff for shipping commercial
countertops.Â* The counter tops were first rate, the 'crates' - not so
much B-)Â* }

--
pyotr filipivich
"Have the Anarchists ever stopped to consider that if they bring

My father has a huge "burning man" style bonfire every year... he goes

to Home Depot or wherever, and asks the manager for a discount on
damaged lumber.Â* I'm not sure what discount they work out, but he

gets
anything warped, bowed, cracked, split, or major knots at a good
discount... half off, maybe?Â* YMMV, but it can't hurt to ask the
manager at your local lumber yard or big box/home improvement store.

My local Menards or Home Depot has a "scrap box" where they sell pieces

really cheap. I don't recall seeing anything longer than 3 feet there,
but I don't frequent it. Great for kids though!

Our local Home Depot does not have that. While the will cut to your
measurements, they expect you take all of the pieces from what you bought.

However when we lived in Indianapolis Menards did, It was great for
that small project where you needed a couple of feet of 2X to complete.
I wish all stored had them.

Did I say I miss Menards? If not I wish they would expand into the
south east.