Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting a new energy tariff - or not

On 26/03/2021 17:38, alan_m wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/03/2021 10:23, alan_m wrote:
On 26/03/2021 09:17, Jeff Layman wrote:

the water company
makes no charge. Why are the energy companies different?

They do make a charge but don't show it as a separate amount.Â* Being a
monopoly supplier in an area means that they can also charge as much as
they like for providing the bill. Billing and payment doesn't come for
free.

Not here. You are sent a water bill, and are shown the various ways to
pay it. There is no reduction for paying by DD.

Exactly, a monopoly and you only pay the higher price!

Ah - that's what you meant! :-)

But aren't Ofwat criticised by the water companies for keeping their
prices down and making them pay up when they've done something naughty?
In fact, we're all getting small rebates every year for the next few
years since our water company was caught out:
https://www.southernwater.co.uk/our-performance/making-amends-to-our-customers

--

Jeff