Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Getting a new energy tariff - or not

On 26/03/2021 14:26, Scott wrote:

That is just as good - possibly better from the budgeting point of
view. I think the criticism is where suppliers estimate a whole year
and set an average, which is typically higher than the actual usage,
leaving a credit at the year end.

I'm currently paying that way with the monthly DD taken in advance but
the amount is based on the annual consumption figures I entered. In the
previous year I ended up in credit but mainly due to house improvements
that resulted in me using less energy. A quick email and the credit was
refunded back into my bank account.

You may argue that paying in advance and with a fixed amount I'm lending
money to the energy company but (for my consumption) I'm probably paying
a couple of hundred pounds less that any deals that the OP is being
offered with his method of payment or even from EDF with DD. The Cheap
Energy Club currently cannot offer me a cheaper deal. I don't
necessarily chase the cheapest deal but this year I seem to have got
lucky with taking out a new fixed price contract around 30 days ago (but
signed up 60 days ago) with the same supplier before they increased
prices in line with other suppliers.

I really don't mind which DD method they bill me but but for some people
having a fixed monthly bill suits them for financial management purposes.