Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Does your car meet our standards

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 02:56:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 4:15:21 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 07:45:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 11:08:53 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 02:42:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 6:25:34 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:22:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Ah, well. My garage isn't attached to the house. It doesn't much matter which
way it faces.
Back in the early 90's I briefly rented a house with a detached garage. I
knew it wouldn't be an ideal situation, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't
like it. You get spoiled quickly when you can go to the garage without
going outside.

We've owned three houses. The second one had an attached garage.
I kind of miss it, but I don't miss the stink of cars inside the house.
Not the whole house, but the room adjacent to the garage.
It's way over a decade since we've parked an actual car in the garage,

My husband is adamant about parking our cars in the garage. Even
when we stored his table saw and radial arm saw in the garage, everything
had to be pushed against the wall when the day's work was done so we
could pull the cars in. Sure, there were periods of time (especially when
we were building the workshop and the driveway was full of lumber) that
we keep the cars out, but as a rule the cars were always in the garage at night.

I conjecture it's been way over a decade since you lived anywhere that gets
appreciable snow. It's very nice to not have to scrape frost, snow, and ice
off the car in the morning before going to work.

We left Kansas City in January 2013, so just a bit over 8 years ago. We did
a double stint there because I liked my job, but prior to that we lived in
Omaha and Great Falls, MT, both of which get snow. I guess we just got used
to parking on the driveway. The biggest problem I had was after a freezing
rain incident in KC. The driver's side of my truck was fully covered by
about an inch of ice, so there was no way to get that door open, but the
passenger side was still accessible. I think it took a couple of days, but
eventually the driver door worked again.
We have a 16x16 storage shed in the back yard, but that's bulgingly full of
my wife's planting supplies. That shed clearly violates the HOA rules for
height, but they approved it so it's all good.

We have a 20x20 garage, a 20x40 workshop, a 16x16 storage shed, and
a lean-to on the back of the garage that used to be a chicken coop and now
is used for storage. No HOA. We can park our utility trailers out front of
the shop if we want to, although I generally prefer to park them behind it.

I'd have a lot of use for a utility trailer but I don't want to store it
between jobs. I make do with a pickup.

Everybody's different. I wouldn't want to drive a pickup every day.

And I can pull the smaller utility trailer around the yard with our lawn
tractor. Very handy for spring cleanup of branches, moving around a
load of soil, getting the patio furniture out of the shed in the spring and
putting it back in the fall, etc.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't mind driving my little ranger as a daily driver. A super
mega-cab F350 Dually or a Ram 2500 /3500 4 door 8 foot box "lorry" -
not so much. Today's pickups are generally about the size a 3 ton
stake truck was back in the sixties.