Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Getting a new energy tariff - or not

On 25/03/2021 22:29, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/03/2021 18:41, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 18:28:57 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 25/03/2021 16:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

I wanted a fixed tariff and to pay quarterly by cash/cheque.

Doubt you'll find one on offer.

https://my.edfenergy.com/gas-electricity/tariff-information-labels/

Enter any valid postcode. Select cash/cheque as payment method, then
click on "Apply filters", Then Cash/cheque Whole Amount (Quarterly).

Quite a few tariffs will appear (eventually - it's a slow website).

Why would anyone want to use cash or cheque?Â* If you have a bank
account - as you obviously do - paying by direct debit is more
convenient, may give you a better tariff and is protected by the
direct debit guarantee if anything goes wrong..

The "direct debit guarantee" doesn't guarantee that they won't
overcharge you and use the surplus to maintain their cash flow. I prefer
quarterly in arrears, so I'm only paying for what I use. Of course, I
don't actually pay by cash or cheque, I pay by bank transfer online.
They don't give you the option of paying the quarterly charge by direct
debit (after telling you how much). (Credit card companies and BT manage
to do that.)

+1, though I think BT have stopped offering quarterly variable DD's.