Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting a new energy tariff - or not

On 26/03/2021 14:41, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/03/2021 18:28, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/03/2021 16:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

I wanted a fixed tariff and to pay quarterly by cash/cheque.

Doubt you'll find one on offer.

https://my.edfenergy.com/gas-electricity/tariff-information-labels/

Enter any valid postcode. Select cash/cheque as payment method, then
click on "Apply filters", Then Cash/cheque Whole Amount (Quarterly).

Quite a few tariffs will appear (eventually - it's a slow website).

They might appear but they are mirages.

I'm waiting for EDF to get back to me and email the relevant
information. Hmm - do I see hell freezing over?...

The only tariffs with decent prices are dual fuel deals for some fixed
period with billing online only and paid by monthly direct debit. It
helps to know your exact annual usage to get to the optimum deal.

I know my exact usage, and have fed both annual kWh figures into the
calculators at EDF and comparison websites.

I find it incredibly frustrating that you cannot just download a table
of numbers showing the various fixed charges and rates.

The whole system is designed to be as opaque and impenetrable as
possible. Why else do we need all those switch sites to do what should
be a fairly simple calculation? I didn't actually check the total number
(including those no longer available), but when I looked at the EDF
tariff list, it seemed there were approaching 100 different tariffs
there. I have no doubt the other big players have a similar number.

One other thing which really annoys me is that nearly all websites
require your actual address as well as your postcode. Why? How many
places are there where the houses on either side will be on completely
different tariff offers? Some comparison sites don't need the full
address. If they don't, why do the others insist on it? It's just to get
you on yet another database somewhere.

--

Jeff