Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:44:32 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Buy a Honda. My Prelude is almost 25 years old, god only knows how
many miles it has on it because the speedometer was tricked up when I
got it in 2002 but it says 110,000 and the engine is probably the
strongest part. My guess is closer to 200k. I also don't take very
good care of it. Cheap oil, when I think about it and that is far from
once a year. At this point a dealer oil change and the service they
sell you with that would be 10% of the value of the car ;-)

I had a Camry that had 195,000 on it when I got rid of it. OUtside of
the normal wear items , all I replaced was a sensor that did cost about
$ 600 at around 140,000. AS I did not drive it all that much, I changed
the oil 2 times a year. Once at inspection time and 6 months later.
Even the AC in that 20 year old car was never worked on and still kept
me cool in the summer in NC.

I am embarrassed to say how little I have actually done to this Honda.
The big ticket is I paid a dealer $1000 to do a belt. Step one in the
shop manual is "remove engine". In real life they take the motor
mounts loose and tilt it up after removing a bunch of stuff. It does
not line up with a wheel well on a Prelude like it does on an Accord.
It is tight against the frame where the strut mounts.
They also replace the rear main seal water pump and some other stuff
on that deal.
Other than that I put a knock sensor in it, a clutch master cylinder
and slave (can we say that now)?
A set of tires plus two. Some door handles and a plastic piece in the
dash that crumbled. The O ring under the oil filter housing went bad
I think the oil has been changed 8-10 times since 2002.
Other than that I put gas in it and drive. I am just waiting for it to
blow up. I will take the tags and let the guy at AAA who comes to get
me have it. He can drop me off at a rental car place.
I paid $13k in 2002 maybe another $3-4k since then and that's it. I
think I got my money's worth out of it. I really don't care anymore.
I actually think it will last another couple of years.