Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On 03/25/2021 12:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/25/2021 1:05 PM, mike wrote:

(My personal opinion is twice a year for dino & once a year for synth).
(My personal opinion is a filter change roughly about once a year.)

For me the motor oil buying choice is simple.
1. Price (about $1.50/qt for good dino juice, about twice that for synth)
2. Quality (any API that meets or exceeds the spec in the owners manual)
3. Viscosity (any SAE range that meets the spec in the owners manual)

In practice you'd have to go out of your way to find an oil that doesn't
meet the spec in the owners manual so it eventually boils down to price.

Price changes over time but currently it's $2.50/qt for Costco fully
synthetic (API SP, SAE 5W30, Dexos 1 gen 2) in sets of two five quart
jugs.

It's harder to find a spec for oil filters but like oil it matters
less when
you change often (defined by me as being about yearly which is ~12K
miles).

I've seen many oil filter teardowns so I avoid Fram and STP oil
filters and
I know that only a few manufacturers likely make most oil filters anyways
and I do know that the Napa Gold (also Wix) are usually the best in those
teardowns and that the Purloators at Toyota turn out to be reasonably
good
too (as do the AC Delcos).

The Walmart K&N, SuperTech, Mobil 1 and Fram often come out
differentially
as do the Bosch at times.

Mostly I look for 30um at 99% or even 20 micron if I can find it but
not all
boxes say and there's no spec that I know of for oil filters like
there is
for oil that help compare them (they're all good enough for my cars
except
maybe Fram).

If you know of a spec that's printed on all oil filter boxes for
comparison
sake like there is for oil that would be helpful for sure.

Pretty much agree with your opinion. With a turbo, I'd go with
synthetic as they are subject to some high RPM.

No matter what you or I think or have experienced, there is always the
guy that says "my car runs a lot smoother or Brand Y over Brand X."

In the motorcycle forums the usual reply is 'Sweet Jesus! Another
frigging oil thread!'