Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 04:46:23 +0530, mike
wrote:

On 25-03-2021 22:01 Jim Joyce wrote:

(My personal opinion is twice a year for dino & once a year for synth).
(My personal opinion is a filter change roughly about once a year.)

I'm curious. If you're going to go to the trouble of changing the oil twice
a year, why not change the filter twice a year, as in, doing both at the
same time? It seems like only a small increment of extra work and expense.

That's a good question where the answer is that it's totally up to you.

The logic is no different than the logic you use for when to replace your
brake rotors or when you replace your tire valves or when you replace your
transmission filter or when you replace your tie rod ends (and on and on).

When to replace is up to you.

Why not replace the rotors or drums with every change of pads or shoes?
The logic is the rotors/drums last longer than one change of pads/shoes.

Why not replace the tire valves with every rotation or change of tires?
The logic is the tire valves can easily last longer than one set of wheels.

But it's totally up to you.

The logic is that the oil filter lasts longer than does one change of oil
just as brake rotors often last longer than one change of brake pads.

If you want to change them every time that's completely up to you to replace
them even though they're still well within spec when you changed them.

It's totally up to you.

If "I" was going to change the filter on a different schedule than
the oil I'd change the filter twice an the oil once - - - - - assuming
synthetic oil