Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Details emerging on CO shooter, same old story, no permit process

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:13:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 12:34:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 05:39:25 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 8:31:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 11:18:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

The details are starting to emerge on the 21 year old shooter that
killed ten people. Family and people who knew him saying that he
was paranoid, delusional, believed his former high school was spying
on him. He had at least one run in with the police for assaulting a
student for no reason.

Once again there was no permit process and apparently he just
bought an AR-15 a few days before the shooting. And once again
I'm saying that we need a uniform permit process across the
country, where the local police chief issues the permit, after an
actual background check by the local police. Had they just talked
to his family as part of that process or the school, likely the permit
never would have been issued.

This is now at the point where I really don't care what happens to
gun owners anymore. It's like Trump. You can only do so much to
try to get people to listen, to warn them about bad things happening.
It's like talking to a wall. Eventually you just have to say that whatever
will be will be and maybe the gun nuts will get what they deserve.
So if Biden and the Democrats pass some draconian legislation that
screws gun owners, I really don't care anymore. They can repeal the
2nd amendment for all I care because the NRA and most gun
owners deserve whatever they get at this point.
Basically you are just saying the police chief gets to use his opinion
on guns to decide who can buy one.
Hope he is not a racist. (although it might have helped in this case)
I wonder if we should issue driver's licenses, tags and voter ID cards
the same way.

It's much harder to get a driver's license in states like FL, GA, CO, etc than it is
to buy a gun. And IDK how it works here, but in NJ it's up to the opinion
of the state employee that gives the vehicle driving test as to whether
you get one or not. Interesting. I guess it's because society recognizes that
cars are somewhat dangerous and injure and kill. I guess that's why that
procedure applies to getting a driver's license, but not to tags or a voter
ID card.

I can buy a car and never title it, never buy tags and never get a
driver's license if I only drive it on private property. I only need
that stuff if I am driving on public roads.

And so the jouirney to the wilderness begins.

It is what happens when people try to bring up the driver's license
and car registration analogy. Both of them only apply if you are
taking your car out on public streets. If I carry my gun on the
street, I need far more and you can't do it at all.

That is far more analogous
to having a carry permit for my gun than just having one I only shoot
at the range, take hunting on private property or keep in the house
for self defense.
A carry permit involves fingerprints, photos, a federal and state
background check and mandatory training.

I also dispute the idea that a DMV employee can deny a driver's
license on a hunch. You either pass the test or you don't. Other than
being able to negotiate through some cones and park, it is all on the
computer and a vision check. You only do that once in a lifetime
generally (except for the eye test that still might only be once every
12 years).

There are also no laws about how much gas your car holds, how fast it
can go or issues about the size, shape and general features.
.

The alternative is what we have now, like Ed said, any troubled person,
with mental problems, history of violence, where the people around them
and/or the police know they would be dangerous with a gun, can just walk in
and buy one. We're seeing the results of that with many of the mass shootings.

Perhaps a concerned family member could have stepped in. Colorado does
have a red flag law.

Perhaps they could have had a reasonable, logical PERMIT process so that a
troubled, deranged person can't just walk into Dick's a buy whatever gun they
want. This guy bought the gun just a few days before the shooting. The GA
shooter bought it the day he used it.

You gun extremists and the lib Democrats deserve each other. Like I said,
I really don't care anymore, I don't care if the Democrats change the constitution
if it comes to that. I'm just fed up.

Yeah, nobody was shot in Newark or Camden this week.
Nice going NJ.