Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Does your car meet our standards

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 02:42:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 6:25:34 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:22:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Ah, well. My garage isn't attached to the house. It doesn't much matter which
way it faces.

Back in the early 90's I briefly rented a house with a detached garage. I
knew it wouldn't be an ideal situation, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't
like it. You get spoiled quickly when you can go to the garage without
going outside.

We've owned three houses. The second one had an attached garage.
I kind of miss it, but I don't miss the stink of cars inside the house.
Not the whole house, but the room adjacent to the garage.

It's way over a decade since we've parked an actual car in the garage, but
I do have a motorcycle in there and it doesn't stink. When we lived in
Germany back in the early 90's, we rented a floor of a house from a German
family who lived upstairs. It was a bit of a hard sell, but I got
permission to bring my motorcycle into the living room, where it stayed for
about 6 months while I worked on it. It helped immensely that I spoke
German.

The garage used to be the workshop, but in 2006 we built a 20x40
building for that purpose. One advantage to not having itchy feet
is that you can make things just the way you like them.

This year we plan to remodel the kitchen. My bay of the garage will
be turned over to materials storage and I'll park on the driveway.

We have a 16x16 storage shed in the back yard, but that's bulgingly full of
my wife's planting supplies. That shed clearly violates the HOA rules for
height, but they approved it so it's all good.