Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Weird wiring

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 07:53:46 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Wed, 24 Mar 2021 08:59:52 -0500 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 3/24/2021 3:21 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 10:14:48 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Eli the Bearded on Tue, 23 Mar 2021 17:28:08
+0000 (UTC) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
In rec.woodworking, pyotr filipivich wrote:
This is sounding like one of Those Projects. Where it turns out
the easiest way to have solved it was to have taken the old bulb and
put it in a new house.

In computers there's a term "yak shaving" for trying to solve one simple
problem and getting diverted into a trail of fixing many other problems
uncovered in the process. The term comes from "Ren and Stimpy", but I
haven't seen enough of that to know more.
Ah, the new classics.

My wife would like to take a bath, but the house has no bathtub,
just a shower. In what appears to be a bathroom added on, a long time
ago. Shortly after the asteroid arrived. (Sometime before the Ice
Age, a third bedroom was added. That's reasonably sound and even 'up
to code". Hard to visualize but the main house is 26' square, with a
5' square bathroom, and a third room, both off the back. This leaves
a "notch" about 6 ft wide and 13 ft long which is where the garden
shed pile is right now.
But the Bathroom has sagged - badly. Simplest solution to all this
is to take a chainsaw and expand the notch to six by 18. Put down a
slab and "add on." The corner has to come off because the toilet is
held up by the drainpipe, and the flooring by force of habit.
The first question is: tie the new roof on the add on into the
existing roof, open that up and tie in to those rafter/joist, or put
all new trusses up? And / or tie into the main, very steep pyramid of
the main house?

Of course, if we're doing a major roofing job, might as well get
the rest of it.

While we are at it, might as well pull the old chimney out, add
those to my already impressive Pile O' Bricks for an eventual Project.
{BBQ / Fire pit, raised flower beds, brick patio, "art", etc} So,
seal off that hole in the roof? Or add a hood over the stove in the
kitchen and exhaust out the old chimney route? Anyway, that gets
resolved before we redo the roof. Might as well, we're already up
there.
Oh, but what about the porch roof? Ask not about the roof, but
rather ask "What about the porch itself?" I can see where a corner it
being held up by cinder blocks, and I remember nailing that board over
where the edge broke when I stepped on it. I do not want to look
under there, at all.
Now, we're getting old, and we are going to need a ramp. Could
include that in the Porch rebuild, but - well two trees need to come
out, and I'm loath to just chop down a Japanese Maple.
Oh, and while we're making money like a successful bank, lets fix
the wiring and panel before adding more to this pasta dinner.

All this before adding some central heat, insulation, repainting
it all ... did I mention the parking place, leveling the yard, and
landscaping?

As I said, I think I'll just take the front screen off and put a
new house behind it.

Sometime in the next couple years, I'm sure.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

I've heard here in the USA the real estate market is on fire. Burning up. Now might be a good time to sell and start over in a new house. Sometimes logic is applicable.

The market is hot but a new house is way inflated. Prices on new homes
goes up as often as twice weekly in the Houston area This is going to
be another bubble.

I'm suspecting we're in multiple bubbles: housing, real estate,
stocks, bonds, credit cards, loans, entitlements, government debt,
artisan foods, cable / streaming videos - you name it, the numbers
have been inflated by the monetary policies over the last fifty years,
as more money has been created than 'value'. (This was called
'devaluation' back in the day: each 'dollar' is worth less, each
dollar buys less, you need more 'dollars' to buy the same thing: It
still takes a half hour to buy a Big Mac - regardless of what the
numbers are.)
When it can no longer can go on, it will stop. In a cascade of
collapsing bubbles, and destruction of "wealth", both "on the books"
and in real terms. And the currency will "collapse" - aka "hyper
inflation" where the devaluation takes place faster than new currency
can be printed.

Gold & off-shore investments.