Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Weird wiring

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 20:14:47 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:47:11 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:36:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

J. Clarke on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 18:20:41
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Again -not unusual
Next:
Screwed adapter into socket and plugged in tracer
Traced signal in breaker panel
Not one, but _two_ breakers showed signal
Notuncommon with a "fox and hound" transmitter - crosstalk between 2
adjacent cables shows up at 2 breakers - or 3 (or possibly even 4)
Turned both off
Went back upstairs
Checked for voltage again
No voltage--good
Flipped switch--checked again
Voltage--not good
Back to the panel
Identify third breaker, turn off
Now no voltage

You finally found the REAL power source.

Replaced fixture, turned breakers back on, everything works, I didn't
die.
Did you turn them on one at a time and check to see when the light
camne on?? My bet is when you turned the first 2 on the light still
didn't light - and the third (REAL power source) breaker caused the
light to come on. Go back and try, then get back to us with your
results.

It's a 3 way. Have to turn two breakers off with the switch in one
position before the light goes out. If I flip the switch, then I have
to turn the third breaker off to make it go out. I didn't try
multiple combinations of breakers and switch positions--the light is
up two flights of stairs from the breaker panel.

Putting the basement lights on their own circuit is another project
that I guess I should handle while cleaning up this mess.

This is sounding like one of Those Projects. Where it turns out
the easiest way to have solved it was to have taken the old bulb and
put it in a new house.

He's doing a house-transplant.

I know the feeling. Only I'm thinking to take the front porch
screen door off and put it on a new porch, on the "new" house.

"You can buy yourself a 'new' car / house all at once, or one
piece/ project at a time."

Is it a "brain transplant" or a "body transplant"?