Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

Heywood wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the
inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start to
vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like a
pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it wouldn't
heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest to the surface
first. The center will be cold long after the outside burns when you
cook on high.

That's bull****.

That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait
until thermal conduction can even out the heating.

More bull****.

Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.

No need to do that.

Greftwell is right in that the microwaves only penetrate about an inch
into the food.

Depends on the food. The reality is that if you cook
a leg of lamb in the microwave, it doesnt end up
cold on the inside when you cook it on high.

Depending on density, thickness, and composition things heat differently.

Yes, but he didnt say that.

Sugar and fats heat faster than most other portions.

Resting improves the heating my letting conduction move the heat from the
outer portion in.

Yes, but something like a leg of lamb cooks fine without doing that.

Makes little difference on a slice of ham, makes a big difference on a
large ham.

No it doesnt.

For best results, resting should be roughly half the cooking time.

Thats bull**** too.

No, you do not HAVE to stir but you will be faster and more even heating.
Not so much if heating a cup of water for tea,

In fact you dont need to stir that at all, it stirs itself.

big difference heating a bowl or gravy.

More bull****.

When reheating most any cooked foods I use 50% power for best results.

I dont and it works fine without doing that.

Slice of bacon? Sure, let it rip 20 seconds. A portion of cold or frozen
lasagna? Lower power, longer time.

More bull****.

Look at the instructions on Stouffer's frozen lasagna and they state time
on high, then more time at half ower.

None of mine say anything like that.