Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does your car meet our standards

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:30:22 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

Like I said, instant disqualification, just like a driveway that slopes
down toward the garage, as if rain is going to run uphill away from the
house, or a front yard that has an open drainage ditch where you'd expect a
sidewalk to be. I'm looking at you, Florida. Stick a culvert in there and
cover it with dirt & sod, for crying out loud. No one wants to see standing
water in an open drainage ditch. I'm supposed to mow that? I'm supposed to
control the mosquitoes? I don't think so. There are lots of houses for
sale, let's keep going. We don't even have to get out of the car to look
inside.

I agree on the driveway or even the whole house. I want to be above
the road. That is particularly true if you have city sewer. The sewer
line typically runs down the center of the street and if it backs up,
I want the **** to come out of a manhole in the road, not my shower.
The swales should drain. If they don't I would be on the county/city's
ass until they fixed the grading. It is OK in front of my house but we
have a few places where homeowners have built dams and blocked the
original flow. DOT screwed up on the inspections to allow that. They
own it. They own the first 24' next to the road here. If I didn't want
to mow it, I could make them do it. I don't bother because I want it
mowed more often than the Bushhog comes down here. They do maintain
the swales on the main road coming in at the end of my street.