Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Does your car meet our standards

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 02:42:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 9:16:46 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:32:42 -0400, micky wrote:

I know of one n'hood, and it's probably not uncommon, where the garage
door cannot face the street. That's probably a good idea, because you
only have to do it once, when you build the house. And it does't take
much extra space to put one 90^ turn in the driveway.

My wife and I relocate every 5-6 years or so, or about half as often as I
moved during my 20-year military career. When we were looking at houses for
this latest move, we saw several houses where the garage door doesn't face
the street. We added that to our long list of instant disqualifications.

I think I'd like a garage door that doesn't face the street. As it is, if we wanted
to hire snow removal it would be difficult to find someplace to put the snow.

My DR Horton (builder) sales guy, as well as several realtors, all said
that homes with side-facing garages were quicker to sell, so I guess it's
something that people want.

It simply doesn't work for me at all. On those houses, they always seem to
put the garage door on a side of the house that has no windows, and since
we park on the driveway and leave our garage door(s) open during daylight
hours, it's not an acceptable situation for us.

Like I said, instant disqualification, just like a driveway that slopes
down toward the garage, as if rain is going to run uphill away from the
house, or a front yard that has an open drainage ditch where you'd expect a
sidewalk to be. I'm looking at you, Florida. Stick a culvert in there and
cover it with dirt & sod, for crying out loud. No one wants to see standing
water in an open drainage ditch. I'm supposed to mow that? I'm supposed to
control the mosquitoes? I don't think so. There are lots of houses for
sale, let's keep going. We don't even have to get out of the car to look
inside.

When we go house hunting, our list of disqualifying conditions is fairly
extensive but realtors seem to like the fact that we've gone to the trouble
of making a list.