Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Flex seal durability?

On 14/03/2021 12:09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Has anyone successfully used Flex Seal paste to make replacements for
worn rubber parts?

Yesterday I rebuilt an air-powered 1/2" x 12" belt sander whose rubber
rollers had disintegrated. The larger drive roller is now a short
piece of heater hose on a lathe-turned spindle, crowned with a file,
and the smaller knurled brass end roller was reshod with friction tape
which is probably not a durable solution but is easily redone.

I used Flex Tape to build up the sole of a comfortable old boot and it
held up very well, better than the original dense foam sole, and
wasn't any more slippery on ice.

I'd not heard of Flex seal but I know someone that successfully used
Sugru to repair an odd sized damaged cup seal in a Chinese made
hydraulic floor jack, the Sugru was used to build up the missing section
of the original seal.